Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris 8 Booting Stops

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistkhan

Technical User
May 31, 2003
IN
Hi All
I have Sun Solaris 8 for Sparc. The machine was working fine. Suddenly booting stopped at a particular place. It was saying
"Savecore:not enough space in /var/crash/sunnrd." As I wasnt knowing how to increase the space for it. I removed all the crash dump. Now the machine is booting without this error , however it stops at
" Printer services started
bash2.03# "
To continue booting I have to type "exit". After which I get the console to login.

Can anybody tell me what the problem is ?.

Thanking you in advance
Regards
Aman

insufficient var space can be solved like below:
try making symbol links of some files in /var to other bigger partition.

Is bash the default shell for root? (You can check the last field for of root's entry in /etc/passwd)

If not there must be a startup script in one of the /etc/rc?.d directories that runs bash... or something.

Annihilannic.

Try running ps before you exit and see which rc script init is currently running - something after /etc/rc2.d/S80lp is causing your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back