Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris 11.2 to serve Time to my network

Status
Not open for further replies.

temsubs1

Technical User
Feb 27, 2015
NZ
Hi, has anyone successfully setup xntpd on Solaris 11.2 to serve time (NTP Server)?

I've tried every possibly configuration on ntp.conf, including one that works perfectly for my linux box. But I'm unable to get it to serve time on port 123. I'm new to Solaris, is there any firewall running out of the box that could be blocking it?

This is my ZFS storage server, and also does most other jobs, including dhcp, dns, etc... If only I can get this to serve time for my network...

Thanks for the help in advance :)

svcs -a | grep ntp

is this service online and has been enabled?

svcs -a | g ntp | less
disabled Feb_12 svc:/network/ntp4:default
online Feb_12 svc:/network/ntp:default

svcadm enable svc:/network/ntp

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

40 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 30 years and counting
[URL unfurl="true"]http://bshtele.com[/url]

Hi AvayaTier3,

Yes, I did enable it. the NTP service is running & it's syncing time with external & internal time server. That's not a problem.

The problem is I want it to act as the time server for my network. But I am unable to get it to serve time requests on port 123 (not a broadcast time server, but one that serves requests).

Thanks.

try port 37

/etc/services

time 37/tcp timserver
time 37/udp timserver

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

40 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 30 years and counting
[URL unfurl="true"]http://bshtele.com[/url]

But that's quite non-standard isn't it? Especially since the official ntpdate is hardcoded to only request on port 123...

Also, the NTP log states:
28 Feb 08:37:33 ntpd[917]: Listen and drop on 0 v4wildcard 0.0.0.0:123
28 Feb 08:37:33 ntpd[917]: Listen and drop on 1 v6wildcard [::]:123
28 Feb 08:37:33 ntpd[917]: Listen normally on 2 lo0 127.0.0.1:123
28 Feb 08:37:33 ntpd[917]: Listen normally on 3 net0 192.168.1.1:123
28 Feb 08:37:33 ntpd[917]: Listen normally on 4 lo0 [::1]:123
28 Feb 08:37:33 ntpd[917]: Listen normally on 5 net0 [xxx::xxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxx]

Under Solaris 11.2 copy /etc/inet/ntp.server over to ntp.conf and configure the parameters as you need. Then refresh the ntp service with `svcadm refresh ntp:default`

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back