Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris 10 Upgrade Fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

maximusGeek

Technical User
Aug 6, 2002
US
Upgrading from Solaris 9 to Solaris 10 fails in the same part of the install process, if I jumpstart it or install from DVD. I recently jumpstarted 10 systems using the same jumpstart server, all with no issues. Anyone see this before?

ip_arp_done: init failed
ifconfig: setifflags: SIOCSLIFFLAGS: ce1: Cannot assign requested address
Attempting to configure interface ce0...
Skipped interface ce0
Reading ZFS config: done.
Setting up Java. Please wait...
Serial console, reverting to text install
Beginning system identification...
Searching for configuration file(s)...
Using sysid configuration file jsserver:/jumpstart/Sysidcfg/Solaris_10_pro/sysidcfg
Search complete.
Discovering additional network configuration...
Completing system identification...
Starting remote procedure call (RPC) services: done.
System identification complete.
Starting Solaris installation program...
Searching for JumpStart directory...
Using rules.ok from jsserver:/jumpstart.
Checking rules.ok file...
Using profile: Profiles/upgrade.profile
Using finish script: Finish/sol10.upgrade.pro.fin
Executing JumpStart preinstall phase...
Searching for SolStart directory...
Checking rules.ok file...
Using begin script: install_begin
Using finish script: patch_finish
Executing SolStart preinstall phase...
Executing begin script "install_begin"...
Begin script install_begin execution completed.

Processing default locales
- Specifying default locale (en_US.ISO8859-1)

Processing profile

Loading local environment and services
Solaris installation program exited.

You should get a command prompt at that point, you can enter suninstall and see if the program exits... you can also try to look in /var/sadm/install_data/upgrade_log or /var/sadm/system/logs/upgrade_log to see if there is a cause given for the upgrade to fail.

Was there something different about this systems set up that could cause it to be not upgradeable? Like partition sizes or how the system was initially installed, that sort of thing? Was it previously upgraded with a no_save option?

Sun will say that upgrades are not 100% certain to work.

Or maybe the profile that is specified for this system is incorrect?

domburns62,

Thanks for the response.

-I checked the logs, and found nothing.
-I do get a command prompt on exit, I have tried suninstall, it exits with "error 11"
-The system was build with an identical profile as 5 other systems when I jump-started it with Solaris 9, did not use no_save
-Using the same profile as 5 other systems for the upgrade
-The disk partitions are also identical to 5 other systems
-After the first time it failed, I went in and cleaned up the root and var partitions in case space was an issue.
-I also tried pointing to a 18GB backup drive for use during the upgrade.

Honestly not sure on this one, when you get the error 11, are there any other messages? The initial failure is when it is loading the local configuration, maybe that system has been customized that you aren't aware of.

Some old errors in sunsolve imply that this was seen when using NIS or NIS+, are those part of your config?

You said you get the same error when you did this via a local dvd too? I presume you are using the config files from the jump start server in that case as well or possibly using the name service for network config?

I'd look at those as well if they are a factor.

Have you checked the FW level of this server against the other ones?

domburnes62,

I get no error when I use jumpstart, I get "Error 11" when I install from DVD. I restart it via DVD, and it give the same Error 11 again. I'm not running NIS or NIS+, Ill look into it, maybe it was enabled some how.

MoreFeo,

The FW level is the same for 6 systems, 5 installed fine.

MaximusGeek-

The concern with NIS or NIS+, I'd check the configuration settings on whatever source you have... in jumpstart you'd want to double check the /etc/ethers and /etc/hosts, do the /tftpboot files for that server exist (and aren't corrupted).

If you are trying to go direct from the dvd, but you rae using dhcp for the system to configure its hostname and network info, can you try to manually enter the information then go into upgrade?

do you have your network interface correct? From what you posted, it does not look like it found an interface. ce0 and ce1 did not work. Are you sure it is ce only on your box? Are you using another card. Make it easy on yourself and unplug all non needed network cables just during installation.

you could also try setting this in your sysidcfg instead of specifying ce0 or ce1

network_interface=PRIMARY

what type of servers are these?

do you have the hostname and ip of the host you are installing in the /etc/hosts on your jumpstart server?

domburns62 - Double checked and I am not using NIS at all

djr111 - The system boots off the remote jumpstart without issue.

I ended up just doing a clean install. This was the only system I had this problem during the upgrade. I prefer clean installs anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back