Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris 10 Tuning

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyck

Technical User
Mar 10, 2004
GB
I have started using solaris10 in the last few days and was wondering how do you go about kernel tuning. For example I wish to add the following entries into /etc/system:-

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=1073741824
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=100
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=10
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=2000
set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=1000
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=100

But as /etc/system is now obselete where do I setup these parameters?

I remember reading somewhere that /etc/system is not actually obsolete, but would continue to function (as a sort of 'legacy' mechanism for kernel tuning).

In Solaris 10, the kernel parameters are now called 'resource controls' and some of the ones you mentioned are now obsolete.
shmsys:shminfo_shmmin (obsolete)
shmsys:shminfo_shmseg (obsolete)
semsys:seminfo_semmns (obsolete)

These 'resource controls' can be set up on a per 'project' basis (and without rebooting the system), but check what the defaults are before adjusting them because we found that many are higher in Solaris 10 than they were in Solaris 8.

Useful commands are as follows, but please check out the man pages before using them:
# id -p
# projects -d [<username>]
# prctl -i process $$
# projects -l

Useful commands to set up 'resource controls' in 'projects' are:
# projadd ..........
# projmod ..........

I also found some useful info doing "Google searches" using keywords such as "solaris 10" + project or + "resource control"

And I found a useful couple of pages in the Oracle 10g "Oracle Database Installation Guide" Chapter 2 - Preinstallation Tasks.

I hope that helps.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back