Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solaris 10 and patch return codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenCunningham

Technical User
Mar 20, 2001
GB
Afternoon folks. Following on from my tribulations with the T2000 detailed elsewhere, I noticed that on using install_cluster to apply the latest patch cluster quite a few of the return codes were '1', which is, or used to be, 'Incorrect Useage' or similar (see the FAQ in this forum). Does anyone know whether this has changed in Sol. 10? TIA.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

Up to Solaris 9 /usr/sbin/patchadd was a script. All return codes were listed in the comment section at the beginning. With Solaris 10 /usr/sbin/patchadd now is an ELF executable and it has different return codes. The man page says using the -t flag maintains the patchadd return codes from the Solaris release prior to Solaris 10.
I think return code 1 is now the old exit code 2: "Attempt to apply a patch that's already been applied

Hmm... doesn't seem to be significantly quicker or more efficient after the change! On prior releases I wrote my own patchadd wrapper to check whether the patch was already installed or whether it patched packages that were not installed. A sub-1-second check when patchadd seemed to take 30+ seconds to do the same... [thumbsdown]

Annihilannic.

Thanks - that's what I suspected (read hoped!).

I want to be good, is that not enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back