Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solar UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunzo40

Technical User
Mar 9, 2005
CA
This may be a new kind of question for this forum. I am using an APC RM1400 UPS as an inverter for a backwoods cabin. It's hooked to a few solar panels via a pulse width modification type charge controller and the whole setup works like a charm. This particular UPS will turn on without the prescence of grid power so life is good (and a lot quieter than a genset.
The problem is that when we put a similair system in my brothers cabin we could only get our hands on some Compaq T1000 units. A test at the junkyard showed that they too will turn on without grid power so we thought we had a winner. Turns out they only run for 5 minutes and then they shut off.Tried it a dozen times and then they shut off at 5 minutes. Not much good as inverters! Apparently they are equipped with some Enhanced Battery Management crap that Compaq designed and talk to some Power Managment software via the RS232 port that can shut down load bank 1 at a specific duration and load bank 2 at another duration. Does anyone know WTF I can do to get these things to just keep running. Wouldn't you think that if a person wanted to keep a load connected until the batteries are flatlined that the UPS should allow it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back