Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Solairs newbee - New install keeps rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2000
Hi All.

Firstly apologies but I am new to this and have just downloaded and installed solaris 10 to have a play with.

Installed fine, but when I try to boot it, the system just reboots.

I believe this is called a panic but I have no idea where to find the logs or even how to read them.

Can boot to failsafe.

Solaris 10 8/07 s10x_u4wos_12b x86

Any ideas where and how to start?

Chris Styles

NT4/2000 MCSE

The system log is /var/adm/messages. It's been years since I used x86 failsafe... but if that is where it mounts the root filesystem under /a, try looking in /a/var/adm/messages. You might have to manually mount /var, if so, look in /etc/vfstab (or /a/etc/vfstab) and see what your block device is for /var, then mount that to /mnt or something, then you should be able to look at your messages file.

Also, try typing 'touch /reconfigure' (or touch /a/reconfigure if everything is mounted under /a) and that will force the system to re-create it's device tree during the next reboot... perhaps you have a hardware incompatibility. (It's a shot in the dark, but its worth trying if you don't have any other solutions)

Do you have any Sun support? You can try searching on sunsolve.sun.com, google of course, etc.

Run fsck on all of your filesystems while in failsafe mode. Check that your filesystems are not full (shouldn't be an issue, but you should check all that you can).

Hope that helps.

what are you running this on a regular PC or something? Just assuming since you said you are playing around with it.

My best guess maybe you should check the supported hardware to see if your configuration will actually work.

There is a tool to verify if your x86 configuration is supported.

DR

Laptop actually.

Have had to hand it back so I will try again on a different hardware platform.

I'll check the hcl first.

Cheers

Chris Styles

NT4/2000 MCSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back