Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sol 10 window manager stopped starting at boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

williez

MIS
Apr 2, 2004
US
Hello all,
The window manager just stopped starting at boot-up, and the only thing i did was to configure this new install for network access.
How do i figure out what broke that caused the window manager to not start?
I just installed Solaris 10 x86 and just (successfully) configured the machine 'RUST' for network access: i can ping google.com and ifconfig results are accurate.
I then rebooted the machine and after the normal text black/white info about the network card coming up, it didn't start the window manager. it just sits at the pre-window-manager prompt: 'rust console login:'.

I rebooted immediately, thinking it was a wild timing thing where something unexpectedly died, but it again stopped at the prompt.

Also, it may or may not be related, but when i run ping -s on sunserver.ttcny.com (an old unix machine thats local on my network), it responds with
'64 bytes from (209.157.71.50)... '
which shouldnt happen since they are both internal (and ttcny is NOT an external domain).

Any help is appreciated.

Which X server are you using? X.org or the Xsun?

Anything in /var/dt/Xerrors, /var/log/Xorg.0.log or /var/log/Xsun.0.log?

What's the output of svcs cde-login?

Annihilannic.

hello annihilannic,
there is no entry for /var/log/Xsun.0.log, but there are the others.

svcs cde-login:
offline 22:19:30 svc:/application/graphical-login/cde-login:default

/var/dt/Xerrors:
:
(EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
:

/var/log/Xorg.0.log:
:
(EE) Failed to load module "dri" (module does not exist, 0)
:

I left the machine running and came back a few hours later and the window manager was running. I logged in and the windows came up normally. Then I rebooted, and it stopped back at the text login, again.
Did something have to time out?

follow-up: the 'ping of sunserver' problem WAS unrelated, and is now fixed.
Unfortunately, the original problem:
'reboot now doesnt start window manager'
still persists.

Can someone pass on how I manually start a window manager from the command line?

Thanks.

svcadm enable cde-login should attempt to online the CDE login screen and any of its dependencies, which would include the X server.

However, since that's the method that would be used to start it at boot time I would expect it to exhibit the same symptoms. I'm not overly familiar with Solaris 10 services yet, but I imagine there is a log somewhere you can track to try and figure out which stage/dependency is taking such a long time to initialise...

Annihilannic.

All the Solaris 10 services have their log files in:
/var/svc/log

Check dependencies with:
svcs -D <service> for services that depend on <service>
svcs -d <service> for services that <service> depends on
svcs -l <service> for a list of all information about <service>

I hope that helps.

Mike

another tidbit (while i was trying to pursue Annihilannic or Mike042 suggestions, thank you both):

after reboot, at the text login message, I logged in and it said:
No directory! Logging in with home=/

does that clue anyone in as to when or where its breaking?
Thanks....

What is the entry in /etc/passwd?

I want to be good, is that not enough?

hello KenCunningham,
/etc/passwd looks normal with x in the password field. The shadow has the encrypted as expected.
I can log in with my id and password, but seems like something kills the mount.
thanks.

Hi Willie - I didn't mean the password field, I was asking what the home directory of the user was defined as? In some circumstances this can be OK, but usually a home directory would be specified and recorded in the /etc/passwd file.

I want to be good, is that not enough?

hello KenCunningham,
the info in the passwd field is intact. whats funny is that after i've mucked around in the text-only , then log out and wait, i will come back the the window manager login, and when i log in my entire environment is normal,IE: /home directory, env variables, aliases ,etc. if i log in when i don't have a window manager running, then thats when things dont seem to map or mount.
-Thx.

When you log in and get the 'No directory!' message, is the home filesystem of the user in question (I'm presuming root?) actually mounted yet? Perhaps there is some other part of the boot process that is taking some time and delaying the mount of some of the filesystems.

Annihilannic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back