Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software Upgrade Cost

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssidhu

Technical User
Apr 5, 2007
US
Hey guys,
I had a quick question. My reseller is charging me over $500 a terminal (5 terminals) for the software upgrade from 5.27 to 5.3x and 1 year of maintenece plan. Is this reasonable?

Thanks

Really, whether its a good deal or not depends on what the maintenance contract covers (and even then, no support contract is worth it if the service sucks, which we cant answer). Unfortunately, if you haven't read the latest Aloha threads covering this topic, it doesnt really matter whether we think it's reasonable or not-you can only get the upgrade from them :)

FYI- you'll find dealers and people who work for them pretty unwilling to discuss $ on this forum. Problems, fixes, issues, gripes, ideas, suggestions-go crazy.

In terms of discussing monetary specifics and prices of a particular nature-different story.

If you are willing to give more details on exactly what you're getting for the money, I will throw my two cents in (somewhat of an industry standard guess, but still a guess). But if you're looking for other Aloha dealers to discuss prices (and I am not such a dealer anyway), I don't think thats gonna happen.

Good luck!

Thanks Alohaakamai3,

I figured that to be the case... I find the POS market quite different from any other realm of computer software because of the lack of dealers.

I guess since it's really my only option, I should stick with it. Their service isn't bad perse, the price includes hardware and software support, but they still charge for parts that need to be replaced and their first answer to everything is, "lets replace the harddrive."

I appreciate your help so far in my threads... I don't know if you've seen what I posted in my last thread after your response, I could really use some advice on that too... Basically, I didn't purchase upgrades for the delivery and ecard modules and wish to do away with them when I upgrade the software and I was wondering what steps I need to take in order to do so.

Thanks again.

Hmmm. This site is kewl but weird. I didn't see this other response until after I posted one and then your answer was suddenly there too... oh well... There is alot that goes into pricing for maintenance, software and hardware. The age of the equipment, what equipment you have and sometimes the customer history comes into play. When thinking about this maintenance contract answer this one question, "Can you afford NOT to?" All it takes is one down server not covered under a contract and the resulting loss in productivity, bad customer service, and not to mention the full cost of repairing the server by the reseller and you ate up completely the cost of the maintenance contract that is supposed to cover everything. Another thing to keep in mind is that maintenace contract doesn't get you off the hook for actually replacing aging equipment. Sometimes people make that mistake thinking this POS stuff is a one time purchase. Turning into a rant.... I am out....

My two cents.....

Rob

its strange to me that you have the option to upgrade from 5.2X to 5.3X... my local aloha dealer says upgrade has to be to 6.X... you are upgrading from version 4.x or 5.x

Guys thanks for all the advice, I decided to just have them PCA in and do it. They're going to rekey it so that giftcard and delivery are disabeled and then update for me. I figured since I'm paying them so much, I might as well pay a little more and have them do it and not blame future problems on my self-install.

Good call Ssidhu. Sometimes it's just better to pay the money and be done with it.
Best of luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back