Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software updates & HD space

Status
Not open for further replies.

eugenetyson

Technical User
Aug 21, 2007
IE
I'm currently dowloading what appears to be half a gig of software updates for my laptop and was wondering do these eventually eat up you hard disk space as there are updates available monthly or are the updates intelligent enough to erase older versions etc, anyone know?

OS X Tiger

It depends on the update - some will perform a clean up after install, but the thing to remember is that the big updates, say 10.4.10 to 10.4.11 contain packages which could be considered upgrades not updates. Meaning they may significantly change the OS, hopefully for the better.

10.5 does updating a little differently, and from what I see is a little more efficient than past versions of X.

So yes it will probably increase the footprint of the OS, but many of the applications we use on a daily basis do as well.

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

You will notice, during the install process, the "optimizing disk" notice. This is trashing old, replaced files in the system and defragmenting the disk. If you check the available disk space before and after the upgrade you'll find that you might have used up a little more, but nothing of any great magnitude.

Using OSX 10.3.9 & 10.4.11 on a G4, G5 & Intel Macbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back