Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

software to monitor employees and block websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

glarior

Programmer
Aug 4, 2005
US
I have small business server 2011 (yes, I know its not 2008 but more people read the 08' threads than the '11 so bear with me)

I need to block websites for certain users on the domain and allow full website access to others.

I want to record all data traffic on the network and see which user is going to what websites.

Those are the two main things I need. Is there a way to do that within SBS 2011 or is there software I can buy to install on the server to do that? Suggestions?

Thanks!

there are a few appliances you can buy, or even software such as MS ISA or whatever it's called these days (forefront TMG maybe?).
One that I've seen mentioned on here a few times is OpenDNS

It seems fairly simple to setup in that you just need to point your dns servers (or you can configure particular end clients) at the Open DNS servers for it's own DNS and hey presto.
I believe if you pay for the enterprise version you can you also configure a bypass facility for certain users such as admins.

Here's the feature list:

Paul

Paul Thomas
Important IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back