Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software standardization using UML

Status
Not open for further replies.

achelio

Programmer
Jul 25, 2005
KE
Hi:
Yesterday, I was asked to write a proposal that would help a software company standardize its processes.

The company is currently using C# on windows platform and intends to switch to Java on Linux platform.

They recognise the importance of UML and would like their programmers to have a common vision with regard to this switch.

The current objects may have been created without regard to their purpose and function as a result there may be cases of duplication.

The end result of this process will yield

1. Documentation of all the objects. A reverse engineering process.

2. A manual that will provide a framework to new programmers joining the organisation.

3. Training sessions that will help the programmers forge ahead as a team with the organisation goals in mind

There may be many more outcomes to this exercise that I cannot see at the moment.

Is there anyone who has done something like this and would like to share their experiences?

I am considering the inclusion of Personal software process(PSP) and Team software process(TSP) as part of the training.

I have acquired UML distilled by Martin Fowler. I hope to get the Team software process and personal software process by Humphrey Watts.

I am new to UML,PSP AND TSP and would appreciate any assistance, suggestions , resources or training via correspondence.

Thanks in advance.

The UML Bible by Tom Pender is an excellent reference work. I point out that I served as technical editor on the book to make clear that my recommendation is hardly objective, but at the same time, I find the book to be outstanding and comprehensive.

One thing that I would point out is that UML has both class and object diagrams. The first rigor I would suggest to you is to make the formal distinction in your statements of intent.

Another thing that you can begin at any time is a "semantic dictionary." This is an artifact that formalizes the definitions of your business domain. Additions and modifications are ongoing.

I would also begin with use cases (for possible pitfalls, see thread678-1135099) and class diagrams. Use cases will help clarify the nature of your business, and class diagrams will help clarify the structure of your programs.

I have had a number of very interesting discussions with grooke on this forum, and you may find them useful. Gil has a good deal of practical knowledge, whereas mine is more theoretical.

HTH

Bob

>> I am new to UML,PSP AND TSP and would appreciate any assistance, suggestions , resources or training via correspondence. <<

Allocate about 3 weeks of your time to learn these subjects prior to taking on the customer's problem. Many of the things detailed in the books can only really be learned from painful experience.

Chip H.

Thanks all, for the feedback. I am sure I will pop up some questions from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back