Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software Program to Edit a CGI Script

Status
Not open for further replies.

debbie1212

Programmer
May 31, 2000
US
I tried opening a CGI script in Notepad and it said it was too large to open it. I've heard you can't use WordPad for them because of formatting.

What should I use?

Thanks,
Debbie

You can open it maybe using edit (open an MS-Dos window & type edit) or you can download an ms-dos program called 'list'.

Vim is brilliant for Perl, HTML, PHP or anything.... You should try it. Visit:

ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/pc/gvim61.exe

(That's the self-installing executable for Windows)

James

Thanks everyone. I forgot about Textpad. Someone told me about it a long time ago.

I decided to go with EditPlus. I love the color coded syntax highlighting and the line numbering among other things.

Thanks,
Debbie

Editplus Tip :)
Goto the Tools -> Preferences.. fill up the following
Code:
Menu Text: Perl
Command: C:\usr\bin\perl (or the path to your activeperl)
Argument: $(FilePath)
Init Dir: $(FileDir)
This will help you run your perl programs by pressing CTRL+1 (no need to go the command line anymore :)

---
san

Wow!! Great!! Thank you. I'm new to running Perl programs so every tip helps and that sounds like a great one.

Thanks,
Debbie

Open-Perl-IDE is great. It also has syntax coloring and you can run your programs within the IDE.
You can set breakpoints. And you can watch the values of variables as they change. That's a great advantage to find out why your program doesn't behave as you thought it should.
And since it's open source, it's FREE!

HTH

tgus

Wow! That does sound great! I really like the idea of being able to see the variables. Since I'm trying to set up a shopping cart program that will really help.

Thanks,
Debbie

I use the Perl Editor from
Only the first 120 lines are editable in the free version, but it's still useful because it lets you simulate GET and POST requests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back