Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software packaging

Status
Not open for further replies.

TANKERx

MIS
Jul 19, 1999
GB
I've seen and heard of software that will scan a computer prior to installation of an application and scan it after the installation of the application and then create a file which contains the differences which can be used on further workstations.<br><br>Could anyone point me to this kind of software?<br><br>Thanks in advance!

SMS does this.&nbsp;&nbsp;It isn't too hard either.&nbsp;&nbsp;Here are the basics (you will have to read about the rest).<br>Get a 'clean' machine with your coreload on it.&nbsp;&nbsp;SMS will take a before snapshot.&nbsp;&nbsp;Load the application.&nbsp;&nbsp;Take the after snapshot.&nbsp;&nbsp;Compile it into an .exe.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;As you get more experienced, you can check to see which files are copied, and clean up the ones that are not needed.&nbsp;&nbsp;(for instance:&nbsp;&nbsp;reg keys that reference the antivirus software, change options to prevent overwriting .dlls, etc).<br>It would take me a few pages to tell you all of it.&nbsp;&nbsp;Don't worry, it is pretty easy!<br>Good luck,<br>chris <p> <br><a href=mailto: burnz@technologist.com> burnz@technologist.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back