Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

software install issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyck

Technical User
Mar 10, 2004
GB
I have an IBM P505 which is running AIX5.3 and I'm trying to install the following:-

xlC.msg.en_US.rte.8.0.0.0.bff

But it keeps on failing with the following error message:-

not valid RPM package.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

I'm using smit to install this

Did you run inutoc on the directory containing the bff file?

HTH,

p5wizard

That I did not I'm afraid. I originally downloaded the following files from the IBM website:-

xlC.aix50.rte.8.0.0.0
xlC.rte.8.0.0.0
xlC.msg.en_US.rte.8.0.0.0

All three files were in the .bff format and the first two files I was able to install using smit. So do I run this inutoc command in the directory where I have the remaining .bff file?

This issue seems to be now resolved, all I did was reboot the server and hey presto the software is now 8.0.0.0:-

xlC.msg.en_US.rte 8.0.0.0

I have four more of these P505's that I have just built so I will try this again with these!

I have just tried the same on another new server that I have built and I'm unable to get this bit of software to 8.0.0.0, so much for my idea of a reboot and the annoying thing is that I'm unsure how I got it installed on the first machine!

Got it sussed:)

From within smit I used update installed software to latest level instead of install software.

The only thing thats bugging me is why the first two filesets worked fine using install software!!!

oh well its worked so I will forget about it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back