Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software download and licensing? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericksoda

Programmer
Oct 22, 2001
US
Hello,

I am a consultant and have found that some software I have been using in my consulting business is sellable to a number of companies. (I wrote it, so there is no licensing issue for that.) I would like to have people download the softward from my website, but am not sure how to handle the money and licensing.

Does anyone have any good ideas about licensing? I worked out a scheme to email them an encrypted string that contains the information to enable and limit the use of the software. But what do other people do about licensing?

And how about payment? Do people use PayPal? Does that work well? How do you integrate that with your website?

Thanks for any help on this!

David

For PayPal talk to PayPal, for credit cards your bank or one of the credit card clearing houses (or PayPal) can help you. As for licensing see a good lawyer that does copyrite law.

The answer is "42"

Paypal has a developer site (free to join) with lots of help and tutorials, and ready made code. They also have a sandbox environment available to fully test your code before going live:

Johnwm, Thanks - that is what I was looking for to get the money thing taken care of.

But for restricting the use of a software package - what data do you store for a license? And where do you store it? Do people use the NIC address? Computer Name? Do you store the data in the win.ini file, some other file? Encrypted?

Thanks,

David

Probably depends on what language you're writing the app in. Try searching the appropriate forum for 'licensing'. I just tried that in forum222 (VB6) and found several relevant hits, including for instance thread222-6529

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back