Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software Distribution...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

apicker

IS-IT--Management
Sep 9, 2004
US
I am new to SMS (2003) and am running a test site to see the benefits. The problem: I cant distribute software to any of the clients. A notification appears on my client PC saying an advertised prgram is about to run, then doesn't. On my site server, I can see that the program tried to run but get the following message:

"An error occured while preparing to run the program for advertisment "ITX20001" The operating system reported error 2147942405: Access is denied"

I've been dealing with this issue for a few days now, and I'd really like to see SMS do something productive for all the time I've already spent. Does anyone have any ideas on how to beat this error??

You need access rights, for the advanced client you need to go to the admin console: SMS admin console under Site Settings | Component Configuration | Software Distribution. This account is what the Advanced client uses to access the DP.

A legacy client uses the SMSClient_<sitecode> account to access the DP.

One of these needs permissions to the directory and share on the DP (smspkg<drive>$).

Thanks alot for those tips, they got me one step closer. :) But now i have a new error. When I go to "Run Advertised Program" on my client, I can see my advertisement, but when I try to run it, an error message is displayed:

This program cannot be run because the program files are currently unavailable.
For more information, please contact your administrator or helpdesk operator.

Well, I am the administrator, so I guess I can't contact him. Anyone know how to make these files available to my client?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back