Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software compression

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark1per

Technical User
Jun 4, 2004
CA
Hi,

I am Running Windows 2000 server Veritas 8.6. Back up device is a Travan STT22000 and does not support hardware compression. The tapes are the Travan 10/20GB.
I have tried to use software compression through veritas but it does not seam to be working.

Can someone help me. It writes approx. 10.5GB and then asks for a new tape. The total amount of the back up is anout 12GB.

If I can get a full friday I will go with differencial but it will not compress the data. Please help.

Thanks in advance...Mark

How did you determine the hardware doesnt do compression?
This is done by the firmware and can be turned on/off by the firmware utilities.

I spoke with Certance and they said this particular Dirve does not support Hardware compression. No to mention that in the properties of Veritas it is greyed out. So it I had to use software compression which according to the logs is only compressing at 1.1:1 which is not enough. So I have to figure out if there is a way that the veritas software has a way to increase the ratio that does the compression so to speak.

Any ideas on that are welcome and thanks for all your hellp.

no there is no way to increase the software compression within backup exec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back