Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Software comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

tim55

IS-IT--Management
Sep 13, 2004
GB
I know this is difficult question to answer, but I'll ask it anyway.

We are used to using BackupExec on our old NT server, with Exchange Server, but have just got a new Windows 2003 server and a new Dat backup device that came with Yosemeite Tapeware v7. Since we will have to buy the Exchange Server Agent to go with it, I wonder if there is any point in looking at other software.

Our needs are very simple: Backup the server, same backup every night and if someone has accidently deleted a file, we can easily go back a few weeks and replace it. No fancy permissions, no multi-server.

Will it reliably do everything we want?

Thanks.

Hi

Never used Yosemeite but, from your requirements doesn't seem like you need to do much.

From what I can see Yosemeite doesn't allow single message/attachment restore within Exchange.

Personally, from an Exchange agent I like to have single message restore but, if all you are looking for is DR
protection then it's worth testing Yosemeite for speed etc.

Interesting point. I was not aware that any programs allowed individual message restore. (Personally, I would say that that is what your deleted items folder is for and if you delete something from there, tough luck).

I'll install it and see how we go. Thanks.

Loads of vendors now support individual mail restores....even the new version of BackupExec.

It's not just about if a user accidentaly deletes an email but, having the ability to restore an email from say a few months ago .

Please let us know your thoughts on Yosemetie when you've finished testing, would be interesting to know what it's like.

Thanks

I think BackupAssist is worth a try. It's not as high-end as Tapeware I know, but the base product + Exchange agent is around $150, which i suspect may be lower than Tapeware's Exchange agent alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back