Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Softphone i2050

Status
Not open for further replies.

acewarlock

Technical User
Sep 16, 2002
US
Our IT dept tried to get a softphone to work on our Secure VPN to our Option 11C, but they say we need the $12,000 Network option for our software to work. Is there a way to have a remote user in NM. use there softphone to access a local BCM Via Dialup or Cable and if so How.

I've got a couple of files on setting up a VPN for a Nortel softphone. I don't think that I can put them on this thread as the files contain various pictures / instructions etc.
The Nortel IP phones will work over Broadband, but it's quality cannot be guaranteed, unless you can some sort of "voice priorty" service installed. This is usually where the costs are.
I have used a I2050, I2004 from home on a normal Broadband connection on a 1 Meg link. The only problem is with the I2050 softphone, when you use many of the p.c.'s applications such as sending a large email. It can cause some voice clipping to occur. Otherwise it's just like being in the office.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian Programmer in the UK

How large are the files? could you try Emailing them to me at whaglund@netscape.net

I'm curious, if the IT dept ALREADY HAS a secure VPN solution, why they need a 'networking' option. Isn't that what the VPN solution is??? - A networking option?

(not trying to be cynical - just come across that way)

We have a Cisco VPN solution. Once the architecture is in place, all the remote user needs is the client software (and a little IP configuration).

Sounds like they are trying to use your one i2050 remote user as the scapegoat to purchase an enterprise VPN solution that everyone will use...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back