Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Softphone, Cisco VPN Client and PIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcpierri

MIS
Sep 3, 2002
BR
Hi All,

I have a Definity softphone working fine through the tunnel between Cisco VPN client and the PIX.

However it works only when the softphone's host is on a dialup connection (with a real IP address). When host is on a xDSL connection (with an IP address behind NAPT), the softphone still login to Definity as usual, but refuses to place or answer calls.

Every single application I tryed on VPN is working fine, both on dialup and xDSL. The only exception is softphone, that works only on dialup.

I already tryed with and without PIX NAT traversal, with and without PIX fixup protocol H323 and various UDP port ranges at softphone side. Still no success.

Cisco PIX 515E, OS 6.3(4) and PDM 3.0(2)
Cisco VPN Client 4.0.5
Avaya IP Softphone 5.1 and 5.0 with service pack 2

Has anyone battled this beast before?

Regards,

If you can login, you have hit the clan through port 1719. Make sure the ports are open that have been listed in your "ip-network-region". Do you have a router at the softphone connection? Have you tried using the advanced settings for VPN in the softphone?

In the future everything will work...

My port range on "ip-network-region" is:

AUDIO PARAMETERS
Codec Set: 1
UDP Port Min: 49152
UDP Port Max: 57151

and yes, they are open on PIX or else it will not work in either case (remember: when softphone's computer is connected through dialup, and VPN client is active, everything works okay).

You probably want to turn off the H.323 fixups in the PIX..

BuckWeet

Also make sure you're doing a "nat 0" to the VPN clients from the inside, or whatever interface the definity is sitting off of..

BuckWeet

Avaya says that any instance of NAT running or port transversal causes th IP softphone not to work. I have tried to use NAT in the past, but if it is enabled, the softphone will not connect.

hence what "nat 0" on the pix's do. its turns off NAT.

also make sure you turn off the H.323 fixups as well..

BuckWeet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back