Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Softphone and Hot desking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronromano

Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
US
I know this has been discussed before but I want to bring it up again. Does anyone doing this on 4.1. Its a fairly logical thing to want to do. Use a hardphone in the office and softphone when on the road or at home. I want to use the same extension. Spent alot of time on this today and could not get it to work.

I did the same when leading a course yesterday, it just did not work whatever i tried.

NIHIL NOVI SUB SOLE

Maybe i am stupid but why not use the softphone always instead of using two phones
The softphone is on the laptop anyway and is most of the time used as a normal pc on the office

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

You can do this for a fact. I have just tried it.

Create a user and voip ext for an IP Softphone as per normal. Give it a login code. (you do not to enter a login code when logging in). Test this works ok.

Create a voip ext for the hardphone and log the softphone user profile on to the handset.

Giving a user a log in code means you can use it to log on different places but you dont actually have to enter the code to log on (so you can still log on in SP without having to enter this code because there is nowhere to enter it in SP), try it on a DS handset. Try and log an agent profile on to a base ext and when asked for a log in code just press #, it does still log in.

I know this works because of a customer requirement specified a short while ago and they are now using it no probs.

ACE - Avaya Certified Expert
ACI - Avaya Certified Instructor

After further investigation by an esteemed collegue ( don't get a big head Jamie! I would have figured it out but I had to catch the bus.) Here is what he realized. If you create a user and log him into an IP hardphone you will never be able to log the user in as softpone until you clear the the IP hardpone using Hold-clear-#. He found that if you create the user as a softphone first, then create a "placeholder user" and log it into the hardphone it will work every time. I think it is a gatekeeper thing where the user is registered to the hardphone so the system won't let you login in softphone.

There is something about starting the user off as a hardphone that makes going to softphone fail. It does work, but this is different than how it was on 3.11 when I made it work.

Also found out you can press options- logoff on the IP phone and it will work. However this is not user friendly. it needs to be that the user can hot desk to softphone just like any other phone.

I have a case open in Tier 4 right now with this hoping they will fix it. If you add a login code under the user's telephony tab, you get a "Failed to register for VoIP operation" error when logging in.

You can switch between a soft phone and hard phone no problem by logging off the hard phone extension before logging in to the soft phone, which isn't a great solution if the customer forgets to logoff before leaving their office - and there is also the issue that if you have G711 hard coded to the VoIP extension for internal calls, you have to use G711 on your soft phone remotely unless you remote in and change the config - not customer friendly.

But in every test from 3.2 to 4.1, if you add a login code and hot desk the user, VoIP registration fails.

Not true, its working, im looking at it now and doing it.

CQ55331

Mind posting your config then? I would like to see what "i" is not dotted or "t" is not crossed for the case I have been working.

Yes sure, where?

Hang on a mo, i stand corrected, it isnt working in the way i described earlier but it is working.

Ill recap (correctly this time)

Create a softphone user 250 with a voip ext to match as per usual. Do not give it a log in code.

So your soft phone is working.

When you go into the office go to a handset and dial *35*250*# IE the login sohrt code but do not type a login code, just press # after the *.

The downside is because the softphone user does not have a log in code it cannot log off the IP hardphone.

But you can steal the user with the softphone by logging back in again.

Apologies.

It does still work though.

That's a decent work around for now, but in the 4.1 Q1 maint release that I have in trial right now, it appears that they have removed the ability to login without having alogin code. Which is not great because our MO for rolling out phones is to create a *#XXX short code, and just log each phone in that way and then go back afterwards and do all the mappings by looking at System Status.

At any rate, for any one experiencing issues, know that entering a login code in a user's Telephony tab will prevent them for registering for VoIP operation on a soft phone.

You can put the log in code in manager but you do not have to enter it when logging in.

Add the log in code but try logging in by not entering it. It does work 100%

Huh? Hot Desk a user but then login without actually using the pass code that you set?

So user 250 has a login code of 1234 set under their Telephony tab. You are saying that they should be able to dial *35*250*# and login? Rather than *35*250*1234#?

Am I understanding you right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back