Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Softphone 2050 with Windows 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lavrunin

Technical User
Oct 25, 2004
US
We have just had a Softphone install completed to a CS1000 using the Nortel SSL-VPN box. The Softphone comes up and is working fine for a couple of minutes and then it loses the connection to the Signalling Server. The Softphone reinitializes and the connection is reestablished. If a call is in progress, it does not drop of have any hiccups whatsoever so it appears that the VPN is stable. The company we are working with says they tried it with Windows XP and it worked fine but with Windows 7 (32bit) it has this problem. I also see the problem with Vista. We have not yet tried with XP but will. Has anyone seen this behaviour and know of a fix for it.
Thanks,
Larry Avrunin

What version of software is your softphone using on Windows 7?. I understand that the initial Nortel version 2 doesn't work. I'm not sure if the upgrade for V2 works yet?.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

I am using Release 3. The company I am working with tried 4. something with the same results. I installed it on a XP machine and it so far appears to not exhibit the problem. When it stays connected, it is working fine, but the 2050 app keeps losing the connection to the server and then recovering it. Just for the heck of it I tried to configure to add a sound when the server was unreachable but I cannot get it into the configuration. When I try is loses connection and then reconnects with the old config.

I think the solution is to run it in XP compatibility mode within Vista or Windows 7 ... I thought some others have had this same issue until they ran the different mode.

Hence, that would be the 'trick' to saying it is 'compatible' since Windows 7 and Vista have the 'XP mode' - so the softphone app may not really be compatible with Vista or XP ... very tricky of Nortel but I wouldn't put it past them - especially with the Avaya buyout and trying to transition everything.

That did not solve the problem. Some other information is that the problem seems to be between the Softphone and the VPN tunnel. I tried the 2050 directly on the TLAN with VISTA and after 30 minutes still no problem. When going through the VLAN it occurs in a couple of minutes. There is something different between XP and Vista/7 in the interfacing--a ticket has been open with AVAYA but thought someone else might have had the problem and found a workaround.

I would say it is an issue with your VLAN then since it works fine directly on your TLAN ... haha

Sorry I thought maybe the compatibility mode would fix it for you.

Definitely agree it is with the VPN tunnel somehow. what is really strange is that with the Softphone up we can make a call and then if the Softphone resets there is absolutely no indication of it on the call showing the Tunnel integrity is still there. Gotta be a Windows thing.

I have the firewall turned off on a Vista Machine and the problem is still occurring. I would say it stays up for about 1-2 minutes and then stops working. After another minute it realizes there is no connection and tries to reconnect and is successful. This does not happen on an XP machine. I anyone out there running with the Nortel VPN box and their implementation. If others are using this successfully with Vista/Win 7 then it is particularly strange. As stated earlier, with the PC connected directly to the TLAN there is no problem.

Does anyone have the combination of the Nortel 3050 version 8.0.3 working with the Softphone in a windows 7 environment.

Watchdog timer packets are timing out. Is the VPN on demand or UP all the time?

setup a ping to the sig server from the desktop of the client (ping x.x.x.x -t) and see if that stays connected, if so, something is closing the connection even though the watchdog timer packets are being sent.

you would also need to do a sniffer trace to see it at both ends of the tunnel....(lot of work....)

I ran the PINGs for over 5 minutes with no drops. Also while the Softphone is connected, if I make a call and the Softphone loses connection to the Sigserver the call does not have any notice of it. One other factor is that on Windows XP there is no problem leading one to believe it is a windows/Softphone interface with the tunnel issue.

Guys,larry
why is the nortel vpn ssl server required for these to work ?
i assume the vpn in pc would support the softphone. i am trying to deploy 2040 into cable modems and understand the nortel vpn is required and I want to find a work around. i see the unistem only shows vpn type Nortel and i feel screwed. what was the cost of that vpn device.didi you set it up?

I have ver 4 working with windows 7 and have no problems. We had ver 3 and windows 2000 and had connection problems when we upgraded to win 7, after installing ver 4 of the softphone no problems.

What are you using for the VPN appliance for access. We are using the NORTEL vpn ssl server but I do not believe it should be required and that any VPN ssl server should work. We are using a contractor to set this up for us. Personally at this point I would get a Juniper SSL/VPN box and try that one. The problem, IMHO, is in the Softphone/netdirect interface. The softphone directly on the TLAN works with no proble with all version. It is just in going through the VPN that Vista and WIN 7 fail. XP has always worked.

we have firepass 5000 vpn server gateway... i hope i am not wasting my time.. i have an sslvpn license on order for the 1140 and dont want alot of spend on any other appliance.. what do yuo think

Personally I do not think it makes any difference whether you use a Nortel (oops excuse me Avaya) Gateway or not. The Softphone should just send the packets through the tunnel. We did not testing awhile ago using a Juniper box,which seemed to work but we stopped because of the licensing need of V3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back