Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Soft Vault Load Failure on Clariion 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

l0fty

IS-IT--Management
Jan 14, 2004
GB
Hi All,
I have been tasked to look at a clariion which has been sitting at the back of the room for years chugging away without anyone noticing. I have very little experience with this and there is of course no backup of the data..

There was a powerfailure and the disk disappeared from the machine using it. I have managed to get the mavisphere manager to talk to it and have seen the main LUN belongs to both a storage group and is listed in Unowned LUNs (not sure if this is normal)
Also in the SP log everything looks ok but the last entry is "(66a) Soft Vault Load Failure"

not sure where to go from here, but any help will really be appreciated.
Cheers

oh and apparently the emc support contract is 4 years out of date so no help from them.. :(

When a lun drops to 'unowned' it's usually because there was a double fault or cache couldn't be dumped to that lun. which means that the data is likely lost. If all the disks are green then it's likely a dirty cache situation. It probably occurred because the battery units were inoperable. I suggest you make sure that both SPS's (battery units) have green lights (back of the clariion on the bottom). The easiest way to repair the unowned lun is to unbind the lun and rebind it, then reload the data from your backup.

thanks for the response maultier, it is not what I was wanting to hear I'm afraid as there is no backup of this data, it is not super critical apparently, but was hoping there would be a way..
I did check the battery units, they are not even plugged in so that might explain the cache problem :(
Is there no way to get onto the damn thing to see if any data is recoverable?
Thanks anyways for the answer.
Cheers

There is a procedure to clear the dirty cache bits and allow access to the data. Understand, however, that clearing the dirty cache flag doesn't repair anything, it just allows you to access what's on the disk so whatever data the processor was dealing with at the time of the power outage will not be reliable. If you have the right level of Clariion Flare code, the procedure is fairly simple but you'd need to have EMC support help you through the procedure. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back