Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

sockets or remoting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akramg

Programmer
Mar 31, 2005
CA
Hello everyone,

I have to create a server-client application using VB.NET but do not know the best way to implement it.

I have a server with a predefined list of clients and their IPs. A VB application runs on every client machine, and every once in a while it checks the server for new updates that it uploads using ftp (an ftp server resides on the server). The server should also be able to invoke the function on the client that makes the upload.

I am unsure whether to use sockets to communicate between the client and the server or to use remote scripting/webservices. Since I already know the clients, isn't it too much of an overhead to use a socket listener and a client socket. On the other hand with remoting, the server might not be in full control of the communication, i.e., if there is a connection loss, can the server easily detect it.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back