Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

socket programming error

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluemichael

Programmer
Jun 22, 2003
GB
I am running a Java program with an application server on AIX i am opening a socket with an ip address and port number, localhost and port 1111 I have also tried 127.0.0.1 instead. the error I get appears to be a native error, that is a c program called by the java.

anyone had much experience with c socket programming on aix? the error is:

errno: 68, error: The socket name is not available on
this system. for fd: 236

I can't find anything about this errno in the AIX manuals can one of you clever C programmers help with this?

thanks

bluemichael

When a socket is created in C, a "socket descriptor" is returned to uniquely identify the socket. The descriptor is normally a 32-bit integer.

Socket descriptors are commonly referred to as "file descriptors" in system calls. Your error indicates the JVM is either:

-Trying to access a socket that no longer exists.
-Is using the wrong descriptor to access the socket.

Both produce the same result. I recommend that you look for more information on Sun's Java site ( to see if this is a known issue.

Good luck,
Jason Deckard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back