Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SOAP and ASP.net - newbie question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GillyInOz

Programmer
Mar 18, 2003
AU
I'm a bit new to .net to please bear with me.

Does the .net IDE have intrinsic support to pass data from client to server using SOAP. Or do I need to still write my client script manually.

For example:-

Lets say I have a page with 2 controls a list and a grid. When I click an item in the list I want to update the grid with data relevant to the item clicked - but I don'treally want submit the whole form.

In my old non .net project I wrote some client script to create a SOAP/HTTP request and returned an xml string then updated the grid on the client using that data.

Does the .net IDE automate this functionality or will I be forced to submit the entire page back to server or write my own client script.

Many thanks

Graham

.NET uses the Page.PostBack on any server object event. So yes, the whole page is submitted. As far as I know, you would once again have to write your own client script.

-----------------------------------------------
"The night sky over the planet Krikkit is the least interesting sight in the entire universe."
-Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back