Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SOA record

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayjay66

Technical User
Oct 31, 2005

Hi,

I have a simple question. When I create a "zone" in DNS, it automatically creates an SOA record. Where does it get that exact information from?

Thanks
JJ

The information in the SOA record is either a default value or it's related to the name of the DNS server on which the zone was created. It doesn't really go find information from anywhere else.

I'll say a couple things about the email address or RNAME field. The hostmaster address contained there (hostmaster.domain.com) is usually wrong, since it refers to an address that can be used to contact the local admin 'hostmaster@domain.com', and most domain's don't keep a 'hostmaster' mailbox. That can be changed to be made more appropriate, like 'sysadmin.domain.com'. Don't use the @ sign, just use a period between the username on the domain for that.

More reading:
ShackDaddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back