Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

So I am a newbie 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dostani

MIS
Jul 26, 2002
US
I am in the process of creating a family geneology site. I am not sure how to approach the table relations or if they will behave like Access. Can I relate a parent table to several child tables using the "FirstGeneration" name as the key throughout the 10 generation tables?? if so how?

Or point me to the proper structure reference....PLEASE!

Dostani

I'm not sure how access works and you description is a little ambiguous, so I'll speak from basic tennets.

You want to model a tree structure, so the easiest way to do this is with a single table using a self-referencing foreign key relationship.

In an SQL schema parent records do not reference their children, rather the child records maintain a pointer back to their parents (very apt descriptions in a geneology database). So if I have a departmant table and an employee table I may have:

Code:
Table:  Department
id Name
-- ----
 1 Engineering
 2 Management

Table:  Employee
id dept Name
-- ---- ----
 1    1 Joe Engineer
 2    1 Sue Engineer
 3    2 Bob Manager

So, you see that each employee record contaings the id of the department the employee belongs to.

In modeling a tree structure with undetermined depth the schema which lends itself most flexibly is a single table with a foreign key into itself. Let's say for simplicity we're only interested in the father relationship:

Code:
Table: People
id dad  Name
-- ---- ----
 1 null Great Great Grandpa Joe
 2    1 Great Grandpa Mike
 3    2 Grandpa Jeff
 4    2 Great Uncle Bob
 5    2 Great Aunt Thelma
 6    3 Dad
 7    3 Uncle Pat
 8    6 Me
 9    6 My Brother
10    7 Cousin Heather

Can you see how that works? Adding a second foreign key for mother is trivial.

Marriages, since with death, divorce and remarriage there can be a many to many relationship, would require a cross-reference table which would contain ancillary information about the union (of souls) such as date of marriage, date of divorce, etc.

Thanks Eric,

Just what I needed!!!

Thanks for your reply!!

Dostani

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back