Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

snmp update rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

warmongr

MIS
Mar 17, 1999
US
I'm not sure I know exactly how to ask this question but I'll give it a shot. It may be a linux question more so than a snmp question but perhaps someone here has seen this before.

I work in a lab that has to measure software and middleware performance. I have have been using the snmpwalk utility as follows to get User and System space raw counts.

RAWUSR=`snmpwalk -v2c -c commnamegoeshere $HOSTNAME UCD-SNMP-MIB::ssCpuRawUser.0|awk '{print $4}'`

This is run in a 3 second interval and then deltas are taken between the 3 second intervals over a pre determined time, say 30 minutes. From this we can calculate how many user jiffies were used in a 30 minute interval and depict it graphically to form what I call application signatures.

This is where it gets cloudy to me.

In Redhat Enterprise 3 WS and ES, everytime you pull this information it returns a different number which seems to me to suggest that it is getting the data from /proc/stat when you call snmpwalk however in RHEL 4 with the 2.6 kernel the value returned by snmpwalk is only updated every 6 or so seconds while /proc/stat is continually changing.

So now to the question. Where does snmpwalk -v2c -c commnamegoeshere $HOSTNAME UCD-SNMP-MIB::ssCpuRawUser.0 get's this value and is there a way to make it update more frequently?

Any useful suggestion would be appreciated.
Warmongr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back