Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SNMP traps, mgmt of

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoelH

MIS
Jul 17, 2002
NZ
Hi... i know this is not quite the right forum for this question but don't see where it may be better answered!!!

I am trying to track down some low cost (read freeware or shareware ;-) software (running on W2K) to receive SNMP traps from Cisco routers, switchs and misc server hardware.

Not interested in a full blown network management software solution as all i want is something that will receive the TRAPS, lookup the MIB information and post the resulting text to a log file (or preferably syslog) as from there i am performing log analysis so can pick up any line down traps etc..

I would have thought that there would be some perl scripts floating around that did this but i have not been able to track any down, and a tool like kiwisyslog will receive the SNMP trap and put it into the log but it does not resolve the MIB information!

So if anyone can point me in the right direction i would appreciate it!!

thanks

joel

You could try - snmptrap.exe and kiwisyslog. If you have trouble locating these then let me know.

Using snmptrap.exe (assuming you are talking about the MS version?) and kiwisyslog does receive the traps but it does Not decode the OID data, so i see the full OID number with it's value... What i want is to receive the TRAP, decode OID and post the resulting text and value into syslog.

cheers

joel

Using snmptrap.exe (assuming you are talking about the MS version?) and kiwisyslog does receive the traps but it does Not decode the OID data, so i see the full OID number with it's value... What i want is to receive the TRAP, decode OID and post the resulting text and value into syslog.

cheers

joel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back