Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sniffing on Catalyst 3548 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kernow

Technical User
Oct 1, 2002
GB
Hi all,

I'm looking for the command to enable a port to be used to sniff cross VLAN on a Catalyst 3548 switch.
I have had no luck on the Cisco website and can't find anything through either newsgroups or Google....

Thanks in advance.

Hi - yeah we've tried going into the interface we're patched in to and using "port monitor fa0/3" for example where 3 is the port we want to monitor.
No joy using Sniffer Pro though.

Monitoring port vlan1 just gives you the management traffic for the switch, because interface vlan1 is the management interface which also holds the ip address of the switch.

There is no easy way (that I know of ;-)) to monitor a whole vlan. But you can configure multiple [tt]port monitor fa0/x[/tt] statements, so that you can monitor all ports in vlan 1. A simple 8tt9no port monitor[/tt] will remove them all.

Cheers *Rob

Thanks for the pointer. Sometimes life can be so easy... just [tt]port monitor[/tt] cool!

Cheers *Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back