Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sniffer Pro 4.5, Madge PCMCIA Ringnode Mk2 and windows2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

boombasdic

Technical User
Jun 6, 2001
AU
Hi guys,

I've got a fresh windows 2000 pc with a Madge PCMCIA token ring mk2 card, installed Sniffer Pro 4.5. I got it connected to a token ring hub and can get pings working. But Sniffer Pro wouldn't start and gave me a message screen telling me there's something wrong, possibly with the network adapter. So I updated the driver to the one found in the windows directory, which is a NAI enhanced version of the driver (Network Associates Smart 16/4 PCMCIA Ringnode MK2). After I updated the driver I still have connectivity to the network, but Sniffer Pro still fails to start and gives me the same error screen. I'm really stuck now. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers
Boom

It's ok now, I turned on the prosmicuous mode on the network adapter and it's working.

Boom
NOTE: This release supports the installation of this driver only on a laptop computer. The laptop computer must be running the Windows 2000 operating system.

Network Associates at one of the following numbers Monday through Friday between 8:00 A.M. and 8:00 P.M. Central time.
Network Associates customers.
800 SNIFFER (800-764-3337)
To provide the answers you need quickly and efficiently, the Network Associates technical support staff needs some information about your computer and your software. Please have this information ready before you call:
• Product name and version number
• Computer brand and model
• Any additional hardware or peripherals connected to your computer
• Operating system type and version numbers
• Network type and version, if applicable
• Contents of your AUTOEXEC.BAT, CONFIG.SYS, and system
LOGIN script
• Specific steps to reproduce the problem
Phone 800 SNIFFER (800-764-3337)

heh, nice one Boom ;)

Side note... Although it isn't officially supported (so don't call tech support about it), you can use the software with a variety of NICs, as long as the NIC can go into a 'gather Network Statistics' or promiscuous mode, the Sniffer should Sniff. - might have to play with it a bit.

FYI
A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back