Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sniffer Pro 4.5 crashes on NT server 4.0 SP6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Has anyone experienced NAI Sniffer pro 4.5 crashes on NT server 4.0 SP6

When NT server boots into the login mode the sniffer will attempt to load after the ntoskernl loads thus causing the server to crash.

You will get a Blue Screen pointing to Sniffer.sys as the last item that caused the crash. Unfortunately this crash happens so quickly that you do not have time to kill the process and eventually the memory dumps.

Does anyone know how to stop the Sniffer.sys module from loading before the ntoskrnl can safely load so that you can remove the sniffer program?

Thanks in advance.

Try last known good configuration. But if you've actually logged on then I don't think this is going to do anything for you.If the system is Fat16, then you could boot to a floppy and rename the file. You'll get an error msg. But at least the system will be able to come up so you can work on it.
If the unit is NTFS. We'll there are some utilities that you can use to access an NTFS partition. One of them letting you boot to an NT dos prompt. Also you might have some luck looking into Win2k, I know for a fact that you can boot to dos with out any third party utilities, I'm not sure is you can create a boot disk though.
-A

Are you running 4.5.04?

Did you upgrade from a previous vesion? If so, did you uninstall first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back