Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sniffer Pro 4.5 & 4.6.. REALLY ANNOYING BUG!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970

Just curious if any Sniffer Software Engineers are out there.. I have a question..

Is anyone ever going to fix the Sniffer "Matrix - Detail"
Bug where if you sort by Bytes it puts, for example, 152K BELOW 200 bytes!!! Obviously this is not a "CORE" software problem as it works fine if you switch over to the "Matrix - Outline" screen.. just wondering.. HEY! It's the little things that sell!! ;-)

cisco_dude

Amen..

I cited that one about a year ago. The other annoying bug is that the Print To File doesn't always print properly..

ARGGG!!!

I found a little bit else also.

Does anyone know where an up-to-date known bug list is posted ? I need to check it out.

Hi all,
When closing down the sniffer application when a filtered decode window is in the foreground causing the pc to crash, will (I've been informed) be resolved.
Alf

There are officially listed known problems on Sniffer Pro 4.6 Release Note.
I excerpted these problems from Release Note. Please see below.
And also you can see many bugs at this URL: (Information > Product Bugs >

- Elca

P.S. Sniffer Pro 4.6 Release / Updated: February 13, 2001
=======================================================================
Known Problems:

Closing the Expert Decode window when the Filter tab is highlighted may cause an application crash. Selecting the Decode or Expert tab prior to closing the window will prevent this failure.
Sniffer Wireless cannot transmit data. For this reason, Switch Expert and features under the Tools menu (Ping, Trace Route, DNS Lookup, Finger, and Who Is) do not operate despite their presence in the Sniffer Pro menus. Similarly, the Packet Generator is not available for wireless networks. These features are operative and available when using the product on traditional wire based networks.
The Autodiscovery tool in the Address Book is limited to discovery of all IP addresses. Sniffer Pro relies on ping messages to discover a particular range of addresses. Because the wireless adapters can not transmit ping messages, this feature does not work.
When defining a capture filter, an option exists to use the Host Table. If defining a Capture Filter using a Hardware Address as the criteria and the Host Table is not open, the available entry is a null entry. Since this entry is invalid, no data will meet the filter criteria and Sniffer Wireless will not capture any data. If the Host Table's MAC tab is open, all valid entries are available and a filter defined using this feature will behave as expected.
Some Dashboard selection settings are not persistent.
The user can activate a null WEP key. That is, the user can activate the key without making an entry to the WEP fields. Use of this null key will prohibit Sniffer Wireless from decoding data packets. Sniffer Wireless will report numerous WEP-ICV errors during this time.
History Samples and Dashboard Statistics use different algorithms to compute their respective values. It is possible that the two features will arrive at slightly different values when measuring the same parameter.
When one window is maximized, closing that window maximizes the next active window.
Repeated use of the Files\Reset All option may cause Sniffer Wireless to enter Log Off Mode.

=======================================================================

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back