Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sniffer DSPro 3.00.10 remote expert error 80070005

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamer1

Technical User
Dec 7, 2000
US
I am trying to run my sniffer and I keep getting an unable to connect to remote expert ( 80070005 ) error.
Can anyone help me.
1. What is error ?
2. what is fix ?
Thanks for any help provided.
Dreamer1

Dreamer1,

Do you have IP connectivity between the console and server? Are you trying to access it through a firewall? Is there an ACL on the router preventing you from connecting?

JRSavage

Sniffer SE
Dallas

JR
I have my office machine and the sniffer on the same back bone.
In my office I am running win2K and I think that is the problem I just needed some information to conferm this.
Network Ass knowledge board is locked so I cannot find out for myself.
The sniffer is running NT4.0 with sp6
Thanks
Dreamer1

Dreamer1,

You are correct. DSPro console 3.0 will not run on WIN2K. Upgrade to 4.0.

Good Luck

J.R. Savage
Sniffer SE
Dallas TX

DSS/RMON 3.0.10 will run under Windows 2000.

Having said that, I still recommend an upgrade to 4.x because unless you get a Sniffer tech who is in a particularly good mood, the 3.x under 2K configuration is not supported. The error you are getting may be a DCOM issue; there could be several things causing the error message. "Failed to create empty document / unable to connect to remote expert (80070005)" is a very generic error, it is a communication error that could be caused by 15 or 20 possibilities, including the Netware client32 on the console or agent machines. The best suggestion I can make is to double-check everything. It's so generic, that is the config changes slightly the error could be caused by something else and you'd not be able to tell.

In my experience, rebuilding the agent and console machines from the ground up is the best bet.

-Andy

I agree.. Windows NT 4 with Netware's client sorta works but will either crash the client OR reboot the server for you at a bad time. I have excellent luck on running the NEWEST distributed sniffer on Win2K..

Newest I have is 4.10.05

MikeS
Find me at
"Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock" Wynn Catlin

OK, I got this right out of the Sniffer Knowledge Center:

Error "Failed to create empty document"
Error "Unable to connect to remote expert"

Starting a capture using DSPro 3.0 Agent
Connecting to a DSPro 3.0 Agent

Problem Environment:
Microsoft Windows NT
Microsoft Windows 98
DSS/RMON v3.0

Cause of this problem:
The above message will appear when the Console fails to start Expert for a capture session. This can be caused by a network misconfiguration at the Agent or Console, using different software versions, or multiple consoles.

Solution:
Verify the following:

1. The monitor card should not have TCP/IP bindings EXCEPT if using the Full Duplex Pod (see 3 below). Only the transport card should have TCP/IP bound to it. Disable the monitor card's TCP/IP binding using the Network utility in NT's Control Panel. Click on Bindings. Select to show bindings for all adapters. Expand the monitor adapter list. Disable TCP/IP and WINS (if listed) for the monitor adapter. Only Sniffer Driver should be bound. Click OK and reboot NT.

2. If NetBEUI was added as a protocol to the Agent make sure that it is not bound to both the transport and monitor cards. Unbind it from the monitor card. If NetBEUI is a protocol configured for the console which has multiple network interface cards, make sure it is only bound to one card.

3. When using a Full Duplex Pod: You will need to keep TCP/IP and the Sniffer Driver bound to the monitor card. In this case, make sure that IP forwarding is turned off, and that no other protocols are bound to the monitor card such as NetBEUI and WINS. Ensure that an ip gateway is not specified on the monitor card.

4. Do not run DSPro Console on the same machine as Sniffer Pro. If you are, uninstall both, then reinstall the DSPro Console.

5. Launching multiple Consoles and running capture on each simultaneously may cause the capture session to fail. "Failed to create empty document" will appear on the screen. Allow the first capture session to start completely before starting the second.

6. Ensure that DSPro v3.0.010 (build 10) is running on BOTH the Console and Agent.

7. On Win 95 or Win 98 DSPro Consoles, make sure it is set to a Domain, and not a Workgroup. This setting is under Control Panel/Networks.

8. Conflict with DataComm ConnectIT software on the agent. REMOTEagent.exe is running as a service process on the DSPro agent. Interoperability with ConnectIT software has not been fully tested or supported. Please check back here periodically for an update to this issue.

I hope this helps, good luck - and remember, you could upgrade to 4.1

- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back