Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sniffer Distributed 4.5 Agent Install Test Bypass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hack4U

Instructor
Nov 2, 2004
CA
Hello All,

I am attempting to install a Sniffer Distributed 4.5 Agent on a test box that fails the CPU and Hard drive min requirements. Since this system is only for testing, would anyone know how to bypass the Agent Install tests?

I have not stumbled across one and furthermore .... it's a stringent requirement. We were settign up 4.35 on a test box for compatibility testing with peripherals and discovered that a PC with 512 meg RAM was failing the test. 512 is the stated minimum but there was about 14 meg being used by various background processes and we had to turn most of them off in order to get close to 512 and be able to install.

Owen O'Neill
Datacom Systems Inc.
Northeastern SE

I have known people to install the software on a computer that does meet the requirements and then create a Ghost image of the install. They then load the Ghost image on the computer with lesser CPU or memory.

mpennac

Thanks mpennac, that is a great suggestion.

Isn't it risky to use the ghost image of a machine with 1 HW specification, on another one that has a different HW specification? Doesn't the OS mis-behave....?

If you have the software only version of Sniffer Distributed there most likely won't be a problem provided the OS is the same on the original box and also the one you ghost onto. If you try to ghost an image of a turnkey Sniffer appliance onto a non-Sniffer appliance you may have problems

1) it's most likely a violation of the licensing agreement
2) NGC now does some security hardengin in XP andf also some BIOS tweaks for just about every incremental Sniffer release and service pack. It's anyone's guess how hardware different from a turnkey Sniffer box will respond (in my experience there are often issues especially with COM port)

Owen O'Neill
Datacom Systems Inc.
Northeastern SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back