Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sniffer and Win2000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkp

Technical User
Feb 24, 2000
US
Has anyone found a way to get Sniffer Pro to work with Win2000 Pro?<br>
<br>
Thanks,<br>
gkp

Windows 2000 Support for Sniffer Pro will be in version 4.1, which should be available in July.&nbsp;&nbsp;All of the NDIS drivers for the various Network Interfaces had to be completely rewritten from scratch.<br><br>regards,<br>Jeff Fanelli<br>Network Associates

Whilst we are on the subject of Windows 2000 and the sniffer. We have distributed sniffers and I am wondering if the Sniffer Console software will work with Windows 2000.<br><br>Is there anybody out there who may know.

Distributed Sniffer Console support under Windows 2000 is in the 4.0 release, which is currently in Beta.&nbsp;&nbsp;It's release date is August 15th I believe.&nbsp;&nbsp;Many customers have had success with the 3.0 code under Win 2000, but it depends on the configuration.&nbsp;&nbsp;It's not officially 'supported' until 4.0

I am running Windows 2000 pro and I installed sniffer pro 2.5. When I start the sniffer program I recieve the following error &quot;fail to open adapter.&quot; I have a 3com PCMCIA. Has anyone encountered this problem, if so how did you resolve it? [sig][/sig]

Sniffer Pro 4.5 works under Windows 2000, although it is a little sketchy at best. Some times I start it up and nothing happens... no data is flowing. Everything looks OK and the correct addapter is selected, it just doesn't work.

I find that shutting it down or re-starting Windows fix's it sometimes.

There is an upgrade to 4.5 that does work under Win2K.. in fact I'm using it right now. 4.5.04 is my rev level. It has new drivers for the card which replaces MS's drivers. It's been VERY reliable and it's now somewhat web based. I can even shutdown afterwards without a problem which is something the &quot;old&quot; version under95/98 would not do.

Mike S
&quot;Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock&quot; Wynn Catlin

James here,

Win2000 is now supported by 4.5 of Sniffer so said NAI just last week?

Sniffer currently works with Windows98 NT4 and Win2000. The current release versions are Sniffer PRO V4.5 and Sniffer Basic 4.5. Both are now released and if you are currently under maintenance they can be downloaded. Please note that only the CardBus 10/100 NAI card and the PCMICA and CardBus Madge 4/16 cards are supported under Win2000 with enhanced drivers. More will follow in later releases. Sniffer Wireless V4.6 is also now released with Win2000 support for the Symbol 24 PCMICA card and the Cisco Aironet340 PCMICA card.

Spencer Parker
Axial Systems Ltd

to WYBNORMAL:

hi there

do u know where i can download this latest version (4.5.04)
of sniffer pro for win2000 ?

thanks for ur help

You need to get the link from NAI Tech support. It's a private link and normally it's only handed out when you have a support agreement. Thats how I got the current code.

MikeS
&quot;Diplomacy; the art of saying 'nice doggie' till you can find a rock&quot; Wynn Catlin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back