Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Sniffer 4.1/4.1.R2 newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lbello

MIS
Feb 28, 2004
US
I inherited my former colleges’ responsibilities and was volunteered, at gun point, to configure NAI Sniffer Ethernet & Gigabit Console 4.1 and WAM Console 4.1.R2. It’s installed on Windows 2K Pro SP4 workstation. When I try to add an Agent I get the following error message; The Reporter Agent is not running. Please check whether the Agent Machine is logged in. In another instance I get a 462 error message. Now, as the subject indicates, I’m a newbie with no knowledge of Sniffer and because somewhere in my job description the letter I.T. appears I am now an expert in anything related to the field.

Other than a laud cry for help, how can I configure the consoles to work or am I missing pieces to the puzzle?

Thank,

-Lbello

So you are installing a Distributed Sniffview Console on a Win2K Pro PC and you are trying to connect to an Ethernet and gigabit and WAN Sniffer agent?
Check on the agents itself if the reporter agent is started (icon system tray.

Second error 462 has to do with Sniffer Reporter.
Normally a delete of the data.mdb file and a restart of Reporter will solve this error.

Make sure you are running the same version on consoles and agent.

I will chime in and respectfully suggest that if you still have a maintenance/support contract for this product (check with your peers or with NAI - there should be a six digit grant number floatina round somewhere).... it's worth the effort upgrade to v4.2 r3

The v4.2 r3 is IMHO much more stable than v4.1 - 4.1 was a bit buggy at times. We're now up to v4.3 and v4.35 but if you're not looking to use Web Console and some features that are available or better with the newst versions, 4.2r3 is good and well proven.

Owen O'Neill
Datacom Systems Inc.
Northeastern SE

Owen,

I agree that 4.1 is something to dump if at all possible. 4.2r3 is a huge improvement.

We recently upgraded a couple of DSS to 4.3.5. The web console is very much improved, I like it that they put in the "Visual Filter" button. It was needed. But it is very dependent upon it's specific version of Java. If you have ANY other version, you have to do a Java version dance to make sure the right one is on for Sniffer. I still prefer SniffView.

But the real reason to upgrade to 4.3.5 is that it is no longer NT 4.0 based. It is now on XP Pro. No more RD32 to remotely access the box, you use tsweb. I like it much better.

Patrick

Patrick Bartkus, CCNP, CNX, SCM Sr. Network Engineer
GA Dept of Labor IT Network Services
If truth were not absolute, how could there be justice?

We'll look in to it.

Thanks to all,

-Lbello

Guys I installed Dss Pro 4.30.012 Console on my laptop running XO Pro and also 4.30.012 agent on a NT machine. I cann connect to the Lan agents (ET05) and capture/display with no problem but on the Gigabit sniffer (GBEN) I can capture but receives the following error when I try to display:
"Object Exporter Specified not Found". I spoke with NAI but what a waste of my time. I do better trying on my own. Any ideas folks...

I'm getting the same error "object exporter not found" on version Sniffer 4.5 SP2 from my windows 2k desktop. From another 2k laptop, everything is fine. Sniffer support had me uncheck "tools > options > general > remote decode capture buffer" and "tools > expert options > expert during capture". Now I can capture and view but I don't see expert options durimng capture. Any new thoughts?

Not a thought but a comment. Last time I was familiar with the workings of the Gigabit Sniffer product (I am less so now because my employer is no longer a reseller of Sniffer)there were some real performance limitations to running a Gig capture with the Expert option enabled. I'm guessing that the Sniffer 6040 platform might possiibly be a bit better in this respect but if you're running Gig captures on an S4000 series platform you're probably better off leaving Exper disabled anyway. It's not an optimal solution but just run Expert post-capture to drill down and look for the problems.

Owen O'Neill
Datacom Systems Inc.
Senior Sales Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back