Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SNAPSHOT VIEWER PROBLEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 9, 2000
GB
Does anybody know why the users trying to install snapshot viewer to read access reports are getting the following message when they try and install it?<br><br>Setup cannot register mfc42.dll in the system registry because an older version is in use. Close all applications and try again.<br><br>When they try again after closing all apps. the same happens. Any help greatfully recieved!

Not really an answer, but a commiseration.&nbsp;&nbsp;Mfc42.dll has caused tons of trouble here at my company.<br><br>You are having a version conflict probably.&nbsp;&nbsp;My suggestion is this.&nbsp;&nbsp;Using windows explorer, find all copies of mfc42.dll on the offending machine.&nbsp;&nbsp;There will probably be one in the system (or system32) directory.&nbsp;&nbsp;That is probably your problem.&nbsp;&nbsp;Right click on the dll file and look at the properties.&nbsp;&nbsp;Check out the version number.<br><br>Our problem here is that we have an app that needs version 4.something, but newer software want version 6.something.<br><br>One workaround for us has been to rename the mfc42.dll in the system directory to something like mfc42V4.dll or mfc42V6.dll and then do the install.&nbsp;&nbsp;If the install is successful, see if the application created its own directory on your harddrive with other dlls.&nbsp;&nbsp;If it did, move the mfc42.dll there and rename the old one back to its original name.&nbsp;&nbsp;Many applications check their own directories first for dlls before checking the system directory.<br><br>Hope this gives you some ideas.<br><br>Kathryn

I have run into this occasionally. Not sure what is the cause, but I’ve always been able to get around it by starting Windows in Safe Mode, then installing Snapshot, then restarting in Normal mode.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back