Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Snapshot Folder Path Message in Replication

Status
Not open for further replies.

eselhassan

Programmer
Aug 22, 2003
US
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to setup transactional replication. During the process of setting up the Distributor I'm getting the following message:
"The snapshot folder path, "\\\MyServer\D$\MSSQL\...", uses a special share name which can usually be accessed only by a login with administrative privileges on computer 'MyServer'. This share may not be accessible by agents running on other computers, such as the agents for pull subscriptions.
Are you sure you want to use this snapshot folder path?".

Since I'm new to replication, I was wondering what this message means and should I worry obout it. If I should what should I do to correct the problem. Thanks

Basically what this message means is that your replication path is using a resevered administrative share "d$" on the distributer. These admin shares only allows administrators on the server to access them. Because of this you will need to ensure that the domain account that the SQL Servers are running as will have Administrative access to the distributer.

If you want to avoid granting this kind of access to that server then create a new share on the distributer and use that as the replication path.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back