Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Snapmanager for exchange2000 Issues???

Status
Not open for further replies.

srinars1

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2003
CA
hi

We are in the process of evalutating storage for our company and when it comes to exchange 2000, we noticed Netapp is using snapmanager for exchange (SME)for managing exchange 2000. Also in addition with application, snapdrive sits in between the filer and exchange application. How well this application integrates with Exchange 2000 and is there any known issue with this? Actually what this software does internally? I gone thru the netapp site and downloaded the pdf file which gives details abt what this s/w does but i wuld like know more pros and cons with this piece. How good if exchage server sits in netapp filer in FC connected SAN? Pls help.

Regards
Sri

Even though the connection is Fibre Channel, Netapp uses a proprietary file system called "Waffle". The only filesysem that Microsoft supports for exchange 2000 logs and databases is NTFS. I'm not saying you are going to have a problem, but I am saying that if there is a problem you may have an issue getting support. I've seen this type of issue typically degrade into fingerpointing which delays resolution of the issue; sometimes for months. If you can live with that, go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back