Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Snap Server, can browse can't copy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2003
US
We have two Snap servers, mdl 2000 and mdl 1100. The 2000 had been giving us problems so we moved files off it to our spare - the 1100. After we moved the files I could access the files (copy, delete, write, etc) on the 1100. Today, I needed to copy a file from the 1100 and couldn't. But I can browse. I am using XP Pro (sp1).

OTOH if I log in using a 98se pc, I have access to both snap servers. If I map to either the 1100 or 2000 from one of our Win 2003 servers I also have access. To futher muddy the waters, only myself and two others should have access, all on XP pro, one can - myself and other can't.

Has anyone seen this before? Back of my mind thinks permissions/XP issue but we've been on XP for 8 - 10 months now and there is that one user that can get in.

Thanks

dave

The problem is that you installed Hot Patch 88250. The probelm is being addressed. The quickest solution is to uninstall the hotpatch, or from the Snap Server turn off NT SMBS. However, there are unknown ramifications for doing that. 1: Files can not be larger than 2GB, 2: Files names have a length limit. 3: Most likely SMB signing problems, which means if you are joined to an Active Directory you will have problems.

So, for now the quickest is to uninstall the hot patch.

To see if you have the hot patch installed, from your XP client, go to Add / Remove Software and look for the Microsoft hot patch. That should solve the problem temporarily.

>---------------------------------------
Lawrence Feldman

The problem is that you installed Microsoft Hot Patch 88250 on your XP client. This is a known issue and is being addressed by Snap. the quick solution is to uninstall the hotpatch. The second, less desirable solution is to turn off NT SMBS on the Snap Server. By turning off NT SMBS, the protocol gets converted to the lowest common denominator. So, you lose greater than 2GB files, files with long names, smb packet signing used in Active Directory, etc.

So, the quickest solution is to uninstall the hot patch and you will be fine.

To make sure you have the hot patch installed, from your xp client, click on Add / Remove software and look for microsoft Hotfix 88250.

>---------------------------------------
Lawrence Feldman

Hi - good to find this as we've been having these probs since mid Feb. Snap (Adaptec) are not helpful as they won't support 'old' hareware like Snap 1000's anymore - bah!

On a range of Win 2003 boxes Robocopy 'backups' died with odd access msgs due to patch 885250 ( L. you lost a digit in the Q number..)

Security Bulletin MS05-011
Maximum severity: Critical
Update number: 885250
Supported software affected:• Windows XP SP2 and SP1
• Windows XP 64-Bit Edition SP1 (Itanium)
• Windows XP 64-Bit Edition Version 2003 (Itanium)
• Windows 2000 SP4 and SP3
• Windows Server 2003
• Windows Server 2003 for 64-Bit Itanium-based Systems
Technical bulletin: Vulnerability in Server Message Block Could Allow Remote Code Execution (885250)

So thanks v much L., as switching of NT SMBs on the Snaps seems to allow Robocopy to work again.

BTW, the SMB signing on the Win 2003 boxes was ON, we tried OFF but it had no effect. Hence the need as L. says, to uninstall 885250 or s/w off NT SMBs.

Thanks!

Rusty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back