Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SNA CONFIG RESTORE

Status
Not open for further replies.

growleruk

Technical User
Jan 20, 2003
GB
Currently in the process of upgrading from an old server running nt 4.0 and SNA version 4 sp2

We have purchased a new server which has been built with win2k sp3.

The plan is to intsall SNA 4.0 with sp2 so we can remove the older server.

We are installing the server without network connection with the same name as the older server.

During the setup of SNA it asks for config info. When we bring this server onto the network and download config info will all these settings be restored from the config file such Server role, domain etc, etc

What I really wondering is can I choose any options in the setup and this will be overwritten when we restore the config?

What I have done in this situation is to add a temporary server and load it with W2k. Leave the old SNA Server online. You can upgrade the old NT Server to SNA 4 SP4 by applying the SP4 service pack if you want. When you install the W2K server with SNA 4 then it will ask for the server role and SNA domain info. Add it as a backup server. It will join the SNA domain and all your configuration data will be there as it will pick up a copy on the config file from your existing server. Once the backup server is online you can move the PU(s)/ connections by dragging and dropping them from the existing server to the temporary server. You cannot move printers this way. Once all information and connections are on the backup server... you can promote it to a primary role by running "SVCONFIG" from the command prompt or run command. Now you can safely take your NT server offline and reload it with W2K. Make sure it is on the network when you load SNA4 SP4 and load it as a backup. All your config data will be availble. You can now move all connections and printers back and promote it to primary again then decommision you temporary server. I know this sounds like overkill but it has worked well for us in a mission critical envronment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back