Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP Vitual Server(s) and IP Bindings

Status
Not open for further replies.

SepMan76

Technical User
Apr 5, 2001
US
I have recently installed E2K on our Small Business Server 2000 Server and it is running about 90% OK (going for 100% here).

Right now, we have two virtual SMTP servers: "Default Virtual Server" and "Client Access Virtual Server". I have OWA going great... but to get both sending and receiving AND locking down relaying, I can't get all 3 right.

Senario 1:

I have the Default Vitual Server (DVS from now on) set to "[All Unassigned]" (under properties, general tab) and Anonymous (under properties, access tab, authentication button). I have the Client Access Virtual Server (CAVS) set to my internal IP which my firewall forwards external requests and the authenication is set to "Basic"

Result: Can send from both OWA, and an internal Outlook Express. Relaying is blocked. BUT, I cannot receive any mail, from internal or external addresses.

I am assuming exchange is receiving the messaging but just not forwarding to the mailboxes b/c the are no bounce back messages.

Senario 2

DVS has the intenal IP bound to it and authentication is set to anonymous. (CAVS is pointless at this point, either deleted or set to [All Unassigned] and Basic authenication, the same results are achieved)

Result - mail can be sent AND received, both internally and externally from OWA and OE. BUT relaying is wide open (BAD BAD BAD)

How can I block relay and get the sending and receiving going? I need all three, otherwise the mail server is useless.

Thanks in advance for all the help... tek-tips users are the BEST :eek:)

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back