Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP trouble with wireless LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmboy100

Technical User
May 23, 2003
GB
Just installed wireless broadband at home. Nice and fast but don't seem to be able to send e-mails or access hotmail at all. I can also not make any changes to the website that I update (1and1.co.uk is the server). I can receive e-mail fine but when it come to send them I am told the server fails to respond. Can anyone help?

Cau you access the website(get a webpage). Can you ping the server ? When you set up the wireless card what about DNS,WINS,and gateway entries ??????????

Rick Harris
SC Dept of Motor Vehicles
Network Operations

I can access websites - I'm on that computer now, but when it comes to sending e-mails I have trouble. I don't know anything about DNS, WINS and gateway entries.

Sure sounds like a configuration error in the email account, either on the machine or with the ISP, maybe an address error for the default server. Since you can get the web, you're getting outside your system OK. So, if you can't FTP or send mail, then it has to be in your settings or theirs.

It's probs my setting being a new computer but does it mean something that I can't access hotmail or yahoo mail (in term of send mail pages?) it brings up the typical cannot find server IE error page.

Before you had wireless what were your SMTP settings? Sometimes with the adapters like linksys you may have to change your smtp to smtp.linksys.com or the like. What models are we talking about here?

Please address my pet hate, "a cable is loose, you lose your keys

Have solved this problem - all I had to do was uninstall Panda Antivirus from the computer.

You need to change your outgoing smtp mail server name in your email client , its probably still pointed at your old ISP and should be pointed at your new DSL providers email server . Had the same issue when I went to DSL .

I know this is a bit after-the-fact, but you might look to see if your ISP blocks port 25, if you're trying to send through a server that isn't the mail server for your ISP. (Did that make sense?)

In other words, if you've got an account on, say, your corporate server that you're trying to send through, it may not allow relays for that server, in which case you'll need to set your outgoing (SMTP) server to the SMTP server of your ISP (most frequently, mail.isp.com/net).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back