Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP SmartHost MX record lookup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADB100

Technical User
Mar 25, 2003
GB
I hit an issue recently with using my ISP's SMTP SmartHost to relay all outbound SMTP. I correctly entered the SmartHost FQDN in the connector settings and added the SMTP Authentication details. However Exchange attempts to look up MX records for the SmartHost DNS name. There are none and the up-level domain has different MX records. I got around the issue by resolving the SmartHost FQDN to its IP address and configuring this on the connector instead of the name and it works.
I have since done a bit of searching and it looks like this is the normal behaviour of Exchange 2007's outbound SMTP connector. It just seems odd to me. Anyone know the reason?

Andy

Hi Andy,

Yes this is normal it been "confirmed" by people from Microsoft:

or

When doing a network trace you can confirm yourself that's this how Exchange 2007 will work. As you can read in the post it looks like this will still be the case in Exchange 2010.

Regards,

Johan

Regards,

Johan

visit my site:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back