Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP settings on exchange 2003 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

raniweb

Technical User
Apr 26, 2004
US
Hello,
I'm a bit out of my knowledge level here and this has fallen into my lap to work on. I have a report server that e-mails out a daily report to the specified e-mail addresses on the report server. SMTP is setup and I've been told that is points to the exchange server. I have an error message in the event log stating that "The connection was dropped by the remote host" from the SMTPsrv. I think I need to set something on the exchange 2003 server to allow the report server to send smtp messages to it but where do I start to find out how to do this? Is this even what I need to do? Any pointers, suggestions, advice would sure be appreciated. Thank you.

You need to allow your server to relay via the SMTP Virtual Server. Add the IP address to the authorized relay list in the SMTP Virtual Server's properties.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Yes, yes I find this very helpful, where is the SMTP Virtual Server located on Exchange? Is it in Exchange System Manager then where do I go from here? Or am I off again? Sorry if this seems novice but thank so much for your help.

It's in ESM under Servers \ Server Name \ Protocols \SMTP
right click select properties then the Access tab.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Under Authentication do I need to add the e-mail account that is being used to send the reports and then check the checkbox for relay submission? Thank you again for you help!

NO, do not mess with the authentication. Just add the IP to the relay list.

Regards,

Mark

Thank you very much for your help. The server admin added an e-mail account but we are removing it from the list under authentication. Also, we did find the correct IP address was listed for the relay so I'm pretty well back to square one with this. This is a little of the exchange topic but can I ask how smtp works from a web server sending reports to the exchange server? I don't quite understand that. Are there any good resources that I could be pointed towards? Thank you again!

How is the email set up on the reporting server. Is it in the reporting software? Try using telnet to test the SMTP connection:

You should either get an error from one of the SMTP commands or the email should be delivered. If the email is delievered then the problem is probably in the configuration of the reporting software.

I tested the SMTP through telnet on the report server and received a 220 message. So it is working, the issue must be with the report software. It's funny though, I looked through the documentation on the report software and it states that as long as SMTP is installed by default under IIS then no additional settings or configurations need to be done for it to work. So I'm back chasing my tail again. Thank you all for your help!

You're welcome -- Just one more thing: When you did the SMTP test using telnet, the recipient should have actually gotten the email if you used a valid email address. Was the email received? If not, you could still have an SMTP problem.

I looked through the documentation on the report software and it states that as long as SMTP is installed by default under IIS

The SMTP Virtual Server is located in the Exchange System Manager. The SMTP Server would only be located in IIS if you were just using the native SMTP service and not Exchange.

Regards,

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back