Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP Service hacked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaksen112

Programmer
Jan 25, 2002
US
ok so I come in today to find that not only is mail not flowing (anywhere) but that my internet connection (outbound) is pegged at 100%. after a bit of investigating, I found that if I stopped the smtp svc on my main mail gateway, the internet connection would stabilize, but still not mail. I re-configured routing groups to get mail flowing via alt paths, but even with the problem server not handling mail (nothing happening in queues) if I start the smtp svc on it, the outbound internet connection gets tanked. I've been on the server all morning and cant find any suspicousness, anybody have an idea or way to better investigate something like this????

Thanks

I suppose your queues get filled once yo start the service,

Disconnect from the net so it cannot send, enumerate the msgs in the queue and check the oroginator.
Most likely there is a PC on you network sending out spam or related.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back