Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SMTP server, virus - config changed .... mail bounced

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjmorse

MIS
Jun 2, 2004
US

Has anyone ever seen this happen before on a WIN 2000 smtp server?
Our smtp server suddenly stopped delivering internet emails to our Exchange server late yesterday. Internal email worked and mail initiated in the Company sent to the internet worked fine. Mail sent from the internet to our Company failed. Bounced.
What we discovered in the smtp config files ... (after talking to Microsoft) the IP address for the 'Forward all mail to smart host' was set, BUT NOT IN brackets!!! [10.10.x.x]
NO - we did not make changes. Have not touched this host in over a year! We did see a virus breakout.
I'm just wondering if there is ANYONE out there that has seen anything like this!
THANKS.

I don't have an smtp server running, just a windows 2000 server with exchange 2000.

Suddenly, since late 25th May, I have not received any mail from outside, and I cannot send mail out to the internet.

No errors in event viewer, email senders get a messages saying the message has been delayed.

Strange!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back